Overall Job Purpose:
The Social Media Intern is responsible for coordinating and executing the City of Waukesha Chamber of Commerce’s social media strategy, working across key social media channels including Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn as well as compiling our monthly newsletter and moderating our member forum. This role will be instrumental in increasing our social media presence and gaining visibility for our brand among members and the greater Waukesha community.
Weekly commitment: 5-10 hours. | Pay Range: Course credit (if possible)
1. Social Media Community Management:
a. Assist with streamlining CWCC’s social media accounts (e.g. Facebook, Twitter,
LinkedIn, YouTube, and other social media platforms), ensuring uniform content
and tone of voice for landing pages, graphics, and other elements.
b. Increase the number of followers we have on Facebook and Twitter by following
and engaging with potential members and engaged community members.
c. Monitoring and replying to Facebook posts and Tweets from members and the
community (initially under supervision from a Director)
d. Use tools like HootSuite or TweetDeck to plan forward-looking posts for the
week/month (under supervision from a Director)
e. Posting updates to the CWCC’s LinkedIn account (initially under supervision from
f. Use LinkedIn polls and surveys to build our social media footprint and reputation.
g. Work with the Executive Director to implement other channel-specific campaigns
(e.g. uploading photos to Flickr, videos to YouTube, etc)
2. Coordinating and Distributing Content:
a. Scheduling and coordinating a monthly brainstorming meeting with the Executive
Director to establish content ideas for the month ahead, and to plan for a
monthly social media, editorial, marketing and blogging calendar.
b. Maintain a monthly social media calendar, and ensure that everyone is meeting
c. Drive awareness of our forum by posting across social media
d. Flagging and aggregating interesting content to re-tweet and post the CWCC
e. Use tools such as wefollow and technorati to also identify influencers.
f. Write and upload CWCC’s newsletter in Constant Contact (initially under
supervision from a director).
g. Repurpose content from other sources for our own social media channels (and
understand how to change the tone of the content for each channel).
3. Understanding and monitoring social media analytics:
a. Track key social media, newsletter and website analytics on a monthly basis,
including Google Analytics, Bitly statistics, LinkedIn stats, etc.
b. Look at the best performing newsletters and try to generate new content that
does the same or better.
c. Research tools like Klout, Tweriod and TwitBro to measure our Twitter influence,
and monitor what kind of content gets retweeted to help with future content.
d. Work with the Executive Director to build monthly reporting tools on social media
analytics and performance against our ‘baseline targets.’
4. Email Marketing and SEO:
a. Work with Executive Director to create and send one email broadcast per month
around content ideas and key events.
b. Research free online directories to generate inbound links for SEO.
c. Using Google, search on keywords and look at our competitors’ brands for forums
and directories that we can sign up to to generate inbound links for our CWCC.
5. Forum Management:
a. Serve as the community moderator for our member forum ensuring that topics
are appropriate and that no one is using the forum for nefarious reasons.
b. Introduce topics into the forum to generate conversation and keep the
community engaged as needed.
Key Skills Required for the Role:
● Must be a college student preferably majoring in Communications, English or Marketing
● Proven written communication skills, and a passion for writing both short- and long-copy
● Excellent verbal communications skills
● An interest in marketing, communications, social media or reputation management;
● Familiarity with key social media tools (e.g. Twitter and Facebook) and with Microsoft
Office products (e.g. Word, PowerPoint, Excel)/Google Drive products (e.g. Docs, Sheets,
● An ability to consistently demonstrate our values of insight, hard work, and effectiveness in your personal approach to work
● An entrepreneurial attitude
● Excellent attention to detail and a high motivation to learn
● A proactive, service-focussed attitude towards members and the community
● An ability to prioritise work and complete tasks with quick turnaround times
● The ability to work collaboratively with a team
To Apply: Please send a cover letter and your resume to email@example.com.
No calls please.